The main coutryard of the Qasr or fortified granary in the village of Qasr Al-Haj on Jebel Nafusa. Built in the second half of the 12th century AD by Sheikh Abu Jatla, the Qasr is the best example of Berber architecture in Libya. Qasrs operated as storage banks for local farmers and were central to village life. This Qasr has 114 storage rooms - the number of the verses in the Koran - it is 1188 sqmetre. Built from rock and gypsum and sealed with doors made from the trunks of palm trees. There are 3 storeys of storage rooms above ground for barley and wheat and 30 basement rooms for preserving olive oil.